I’m not a fancy cook. I usually stick to pretty simple fare. Not only for the cost factor but also for health reasons. But I do like to try new things and if they turn out well and the family likes them a lot, I will pass them on to you.
I also have something to prove. You see, my 17yr. old daughter made the main meal every day for a year and a half. And in the zeal of youth, she would make some pretty amazing dishes. She also was astonishing at her stictuitiveness. Even if she was going somewhere that evening she would still prep the meal and have it all ready. And I didn’t have to bug her about it.
Maybe it was my imagination, but it seemed as if they saw me close to the stove, their eyebrows would raise, as if to say….”Mom, don’t even try, we know you don’t know how to cook.”
Short memories or what????
Then “someone” came along and snatched Jeanette from right off my apron strings and I am left holding the bag.
I’ve had to really adjust to being the meal-maker again. So to keep my focus, I have been doing a menu and I get some of my meals out of my old Taste of Home books. And I’ve hit upon some pretty good ones. I am redeeming myself slowly.
Hopefully not for long though. I am waiting for Rosie or Margy to take over. 🙂
The following lasagna recipe was a bit finicky. I thought it just used spaghetti sauce and I was trying it for a Friday meal. But the sauce was made of milk,etc. so it took a bit more time but it was well worth the effort. So, if you have a little extra time, or many hands to chop veggies, try this one out. It’s good! Really good!
Four-Cheese Spinach Lasagna Recipe
- Prep: 50 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- Yield: 12 Servings
- 2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 1-1/2 cups julienned carrots
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- In a large skillet, saute vegetables and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach. Set 1 cup aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, mozzarella and Swiss cheese. Spread 1/2 cup of spinach mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with four noodles, half of the cheese mixture, vegetables and 3/4 cup spinach mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining noodles, reserved spinach mixture and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings
- Here is another recipe that I have made just recently and the kids ranted about. ” You’re going to put this one on your blog, aren’t you Mom?” I thought that was good enough reviews to put it up here.
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 7 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a saucepan, bring the potatoes, carrot, celery and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the ham, green pepper and onion in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Add to the potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add the milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over the ham mixture. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4-6 servings.